Top sports betting sites in California 2021
California will become the biggest sports betting market in the United States, but there are still several hurdles to overcome before it happens. Lawmakers remain hopeful CA sports betting sites might launch in 2021, but first they must find middle ground with the state’s Tribal Casinos. Californian sports betting sites are likely to mirror those in other states, with brands like MGM, DraftKings and William Hill gaining solid traction right across the country.
Betting on sports via offshore betting sites is done by millions of Californians, but it is actually illegal, and BettingPlanet.com chooses not to promote these online sportsbooks. Californian lawmakers are due to meet again in the first quarter of 2021, but many legislative moves are being hindered by the election and the raging covid-19 pandemic. BettingPlanet will keep you in the loop with all the latest developments in Californian sports betting as they happen.
California sports betting & gambling introduction
California has a long and rich history when it comes to gambling dating all the way back to the gold rush in the 1840’s. There are many tribal casinos as well as card rooms in the state and there is no lack of land based options when it comes to gambling. When it comes to online gambling in California there are really no state laws banning it and there are quite a few options when gaming online. Sports betting is not legislated to be legal in the state either, but, again, with offshore betting sites you are able to bet on sports as well as horses. Like much of the USA California will now consider legislating sports betting in the coming months after the US Supreme Court overturned the law banning it in May of 2018.
MORE INFO: USA SPORTS BETTING GUIDE
Sports Betting in California
As stated before sports gambling is not legal in the state of California. There are no sports betting operators allowed to operate in the state and taking bets in California is illegal. There are also no sportsbooks online that are state regulated, but there are offshore betting options. There are four states where sports betting is legal and there you have to be 21 years of age to make wagers while at many offshore sportsbooks you only have to be 18.
Online sportsbooks for California
Citizens of California have one option when betting on sports online and that is to take advantage of the many offshore sportsbooks. There are plenty where you can make wagers online and there are many types of wagers to make from straight bets and totals to future bets and parlays. There are so many sportsbooks online today that you need to pick a solid and reputable one that gives you many options. You want many betting options, solid bonuses and promotions, good player security, banking options, and 24/7 customer service. Here are three legitimate sportsbooks online today.
- BetOnline.ag – This reputable sportsbook gives their players many options when it comes to betting on sports and they also have a casino. They have many wager types, nice bonuses, and promotions, and there are even casino Live Dealer games, which makes you feel like you are playing at a real live land-based casino.
- Sportsbetting.ag – This sportsbook’s parent company is BetOnline.ag and just like that book Sportsbetting.ag has many player options and also offer many wager types even live betting and mobile betting. Their security is top-notch, they offer great bonuses and promotions for both new players and existing ones, and they have a good customer support team. They offer bets from sporting events from around the world and have very competitive odds for them.
- Xbet.ag – This is another reputable online sportsbook and one of the best things about it is their welcome bonus, which is one of the best ones online today. Xbet.ag has all the things a good sportsbook should have in sports to bet on, many wagers to make, solid player security, a variety of deposit and withdrawal options, lucrative bonuses and promotions, and a good customer support system.
Betting on horse racing in California
Horse racing is popular in California and there is no lack of tracks to make wagers on races. The regulation of horse racing is regulated by the California Horse Racing Board and they were established in 1933. Here are a few of the more popular racetracks in the state.
- Cal Expo – This track is the only one in California that offers live harness racing. Many of the bigger harness races take place during the California State Fair. The track opens on the first Saturday in October for races only on Sundays then moving to Friday and Saturday races.
- Del Mar Racetrack – This beautiful track is very close to the Pacific Ocean and it is the 2nd largest track on the West Coast. They offer several Grade 1 races and there are many betting options at the track.
- Hollywood Park Racetrack – This track in Los Angeles was established back in 1938 and they offer several Grade 1 races. There is also a casino on site, which opened in 2016.
- Santa Anita Park – Many consider this track the most gorgeous of them all with the backdrop of the mountains and they host some of the bigger races in the United States in the Santa Anita Derby and the Santa Anita Handicap. The park also has hosted the Breeder’s Cup several times with the last time in 2016.
- Golden Gate Fields – This is the biggest and most popular racetrack in Northern California and since 1941 they have offered thoroughbred horse racing.
- Los Alamitos Race Course – Quarter Horse racing has been offered at this track since 1947.
Online Poker in California
While there are over 100 land-based poker rooms in California online poker is illegal in the state. However, just like sports betting citizens of the state can play poker online and legal action will not be taken. There has been a push to run a legal online state sanctioned poker room, but it has not come to fruition. Many of the leading poker rooms online today welcome players from California, so there is a lot of options for players and it does not matter if they are a high roller or low stakes player.
Online Betting Laws in California
In 1933 there was a constitutional amendment that made horse race betting legal. The racetracks are popular in the state and they offer some of the bigger races in the United States. In 2010, it also became legal for citizens of California to wager on horses online.
In 1992 sports betting was deemed illegal in the United States and California is one of the 46 states where sports betting is illegal.
In 2012 there were a few bills that were put before the state senate, but they did not pass. One of the main reasons they did not is that the tribal casinos wanted to regulate the sites to play poker on, as it would be taking away from their casino business.
When it comes to the many tribal casinos in the state the ball for those started rolling in 1988. This is when the Federal Indian Gaming Regulatory Act was created with negotiations of over 50 tribes. In the beginning, they offered bingo at their gaming establishments and in 2000 Proposition 1A came into being and that allowed for the legality of casinos on tribal land.
Other states in the USA have legalised sports betting sites, with New Jersey (top New Jersey betting sites) and Pennsylvania (PA betting sites) leading the way. This was possible following the successful repel of the PASPA agreement.