2021/22 NFL betting
The 2018/19 NFL season will run from September all the way through to February, culminating in the biggest and most extravagant event in world sports — the fabled Super Bowl.
At BettingPlanet, we’re committed to providing a weekly suite of NFL betting tips, news, match previews and bookmaker specials.
If you are new to the sport and, consequently, new to the bets, it can be daunting and even confusing trying to understand what you are actually betting on, when to bet and how to bet wisely and not lose your money cheaply like some common rube.
We will have a look at the world of NFL betting available to punters in the US and all around the world.
Best bookmakers for NFL betting
Best bookies for NFL betting
Live Betting Odds
Claim a 50% deposit bonus up to the value of USD $250
|Visit Bovada Bovada Review|
No matter where you are in the world, your online sports bookmaker should have NFL markets available. If they don’t, it may be time to revisit your choice in a punting partner.
So, which bookies are the best if you want to bet on the NFL?
The simple answer is, it depends where you are doing your punting from. If you’re in the US, the new wave of online bookmakers, including WilliamHill, Bet365 and Bovada, will provide an excellent service and are committed to weekly specials, bonuses and more markets than you could poke a stick at.
BettingPlanet recommends that you sign up at multiple bookmakers to ensure that you are always getting the best odds available. Signing up at different bookies costs you nothing, takes only a few seconds and means you won’t miss out on the markets and odds you want.
2019 Super Bowl odds
*odds as of September 2018
|NFL team||Super Bowl LVI odds at Bovada|
|New England Patriots||+6600|
|Los Angeles Rams||+650|
|Green Bay Packers||+900|
|New Orleans Saints||+3000|
|Los Angeles Chargers||+2500|
|San Francisco 49ers||+2500|
|Kansas City Chiefs||+1200|
|New York Giants||+50000|
|Washington Football Team||+50000|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||+600|
|New York Jets||+50000|
Live Betting Odds
Claim a 50% deposit bonus up to the value of USD $250
|NFL team:||Established:||Home venue:||Super Bowls* won:||2017 record:|
|Arizona Cardinals||1898||State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona||0||8-8|
|Atlanta Falcons||1965||Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta||0||10-6|
|Baltimore Ravens||1996||M&T Stadium, Baltimore||2||9-7|
|Buffalo Bills||1959||New Era Field, Orchard Park, NY||0||9-7|
|Carolina Panthers||1993||Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte||0||11-5|
|Chicago Bears||1920||Soldier Field, Chicago||1||5-11|
|Cincinatti Bengals||1967||Paul Brown Stadium, Cinicinatti||0||7-9|
|Cleveland Browns||1944||First Energy Stadium, Cleveland||0||0-16|
|Dallas Cowboys||1960||AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas||5||9-7|
|Denver Broncos||1959||Broncos Stadium, Mile High, Denver||3||5-11|
|Detroit Lions||1930||Allen Park, Michigan||0||9-7|
|Green Bay Packers||1919||Lambeau Field, Green Bay||2||7-9|
|Houston Texans||1999||NRG Stadium, Houston||0||4-12|
|Indianapolis Colts||1953||Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis||2||4-12|
|Jacksonville Jaguars||1995||TIAA Bank Field, Jacksonville||0||10-6|
|Kansas City Chiefs||1959||Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City||1||10-6|
|Los Angeles Rams||1936||Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles||1||11-5|
|Los Angeles Chargers||1959||StubHub Center, Carson, Los Angeles||0||9-7|
|Miami Dolphins||1965||Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens||2||6-10|
|Minnesota Vikings||1960||US Bank Stadium, Minneapolis||0||13-3|
|New England Patriots||1959||Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, New England||5||13-3|
|New Orleans Saints||1966||Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans||1||11-5|
|New York Giants||1925||MetLife Stadium, New Jersey||4||3-13|
|New York Jets||1959||MetLife Stadium, New Jersey||0||5-11|
|Oakland Raiders||1960||Alameda County Coliseum, Oakland||3||6-10|
|Philadelphia Eagles||1933||Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia||1||13-3|
|Pittsburgh Steelers||1933||Heinz Field, Pittsburgh||6||13-3|
|San Francisco 49ers||1946||Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara||5||6-10|
|Seattle Seahawks||1974||CenturyLink Field, Seattle||1||9-7|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||1974||Raymond James Stadium, Tampa||1||5-11|
|Tennessee Titans||1959||Nissan Stadium, Nashville||0||9-7|
|Washington Redskins||1932||Fedex Field, Landover, Maryland||3||7-9|
Novice NFL Markets
Here we will have a look at some of the relatively easy bets, best for beginners.
- This is another simple one. You have two options: odd or even. You can bet on whether the total number of points for each quarter will be odd or even, whether the total amount of points for each half will be odd or even or if the total number of points for the game will be odd or even. This bet is great for beginners because it doesn’t take any skill or knowledge of the game it comes down to luck.
- Head to Head bets are one of the simplest bets going around because it is a choice of betting on who will win the game. Obviously the longer the odds the less favoured that team is to win. You can expect to see odds ranging from around AUD$1.05 up to AUD$10 for Head to Head bets.
- This is a fun bet where the online bookie will pinpoint several point marks like first to five points, 10 points, 15 points and 20 points. You are able to punt on which team will make a certain total first. Each team is allocated odds of being the first to reach each point milestone.
This betting option is available during both halves too. So you could bet on the New York Jets to be the first to reach 10 points in the first half and the first to reach 10 points in the second half.
Intermediate NFL Markets
With the following bets it is best to have a good general knowledge of the game and each team, their recent form at home or on the road and each team’s ability to score points.
This is another relatively simple bet but it’s better to be familiar with a team’s ability to score points before getting into it. Your online bookie will pinpoint a total match points total and the bet is whether the total combined points will be over or under this amount. For example will the total match points for the game be over or under 47.0?
To be successful with this bet it is advantageous to know whether two attacking teams are playing, if so then you would expect it to be a big scoring game, bet over the bookies prediction. Are two defensive teams playing? Perhaps a low scoring game then, bet under the bookies prediction.
- Handicap betting is one of the most popular wagers when it comes to the NFL. Handicap betting can often be referred to as point spread or line betting too, so don’t get confused if you hear these other terms thrown around.
Handicap betting is designed to create a more even head-to-head style bet with the favourite for the game being deducted points and the underdog being added points. If you think the favourite can still win despite the bookies point disadvantage, then bet on them. If you think the underdog can win with the extra points allocated by the bookie then bet on them.
An example of a handicap bet would be Chicago Bears (+6.5) $1.87 or Minnesota Vikings (-6.5) $1.97.
Advanced NFL Markets
The following NFL markets are best suited to those punters with a more sophisticated understanding of the details and subtle nuances of the NFL.
- This market has nine betting options and each option requires you to successfully punt on what the result will be for the first and second half of the match, excluding over time. These options also include draws. Every conceivable winning combination is covered in the Double Result markets.
Examples of a Double Market bet are as follows:
- San Diego Chargers, San Diego Chargers – $3.30
- San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs – $8.50
- San Diego Chargers, Draw – $18
- Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers – $9.50
- Kansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Chiefs – $2.20
- Kansas City Chiefs, Draw – $17
- Draw, San Diego Chargers – $18
- Draw, Kansas City Chiefs – $15
- Draw, Draw – $34
Player Prop Bets require a very broad and precise knowledge of individual players ability and current form.
A seemingly simple bet like who will score the first touchdown of the match needs a lot of thought. Like who is each playing quaterback’s favourite receiver? Who has a history of scoring the first touchdown of the match? Is anyone carrying an injury? Does the quaterback have a history of faking and going for a touchdown himself?
Then bets like will the quaterback throw over or under a certain number of metres requires a very precise knowledge of each quaterback average throwing metres per game.
Who will make the most receiving metres is also another popular player prop bet.
- This is a very precise bet on who will win the Super Bowl. Every team is given a price depending on their seeming chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl each year.
Recent NFL champions
|Year||Super Bowl winner||Runners Up||Super Bowl MVP||League MVP|
|2018||Philadelphia Eagles||New England Patriots||Nick Foles||Tom Brady|
|2017||New England Patriots||Atlanta Falcons||Tom Brady||Matt Ryan|
|2016||Denver Broncos||Carolina Panthers||Von Miller||Cam Newton|
|2015||New England Patriots||Seattle Seahawks||Tom Brady||Aaron Rodgers|
|2014||Seattle Seahawks||Denver Broncos||Malcolm Smith||Peyton Manning|
|2013||Baltimore Ravens||San Francisco 49ers||Joe Flacco||Adrian Peterson|
|2012||New York Giants||New England Patriots||Eli Manning||Aaron Rodgers|
When to Bet on the NFL
The best time to bet on regular season NFL games is every Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and Sunday night Australian time.
Then when the Playoffs roll around the fun really begins. Playoff betting is thick and fast all leading to the hum-dinger: The Super Bowl.
Latest NFL betting tips & news
All NFL News