Sports betting in Pennsylvania 2020
Sports betting is officially in Pennsylvania, with both retail betting and online sportsbooks now open for betting. The top PA betting sites are licensed by the state, share a partnership with a land-based gambling location and offer hundreds of sports betting markets on various events from all over the world. Our top PA sports betting sites for 2021 are:
PA sports betting news
Best PA sports betting sites 2021
Betting on sports was illegal in all but four US states until May 2018, when the US Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) in a landmark ruling. Pennsylvania had already passed a sports betting bill by then, so it was no surprise when the Hollywood Casino at Penn National officially opened a sportsbook in November 2018. Most of the state’s casinos and racetracks now take bets on sport. It took a little longer for PA betting sites to launch, but there is now a legal and fully operative betting industry in Pennsylvania. At the moment there there is four sportsbooks, but there are many other names that have been linked to obtaining a sports betting license in Pennsylvania, including giants like Bet365 and William Hill, that have secured licenses in other US states.
PA betting bonuses & promotions
Sports betting bonuses have long been a staple of online gambling, and at PA sports betting sites its no exception, with all of the brands available having some kind of new account sign up bonus. Betting sign up bonuses can take many different forms, but so far in the short history of Pennsylvania betting promotions, the most common are free bets, where the online sportsbook will give you a small denomination, to allow you to have a free bet on an event, or matched deposits, where betting sites match your first deposit up to a certain amount.
Note: All Pennsylvania betting bonuses will have wagering requirements attached to them. This means you have to bet the money a certain amount of times before you can withdraw. PA sportsbook promotions could also have other requirements attached to them, such as a cap on the amount of money you can win from your freebet.
Betting on sports from Pennsylvania in 2021
The USA is arguably the no.1 betting nation in the world, despite having a limited history in the legal betting industry. For years Pennsylvanian online bettors wagering with offshore betting sites, but the change in US gambling laws, means many PA betting sites are spawning. The top Pennsylvanian online sportsbooks will have a bevy of promotions and bonuses surrounding the major sports, like the NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS and many more. So in summary, people in Pennsylvania can bet on sports in retail betting locations and via the internet and online betting apps.Below we will run you through some of the most popular betting mediums in Pennsylvania, providing you with a synopsis and more links to betting strategy and tips articles.
NBA betting is highly-popular in Pennsylvania, with the Philadelphia 76ers based in this state. The 76ers have many star players including Joel Embiid and Australian Ben Simmons. All PA basketball betting sites will price all NBA games, plus have markets from various basketball competitions around the world.ALL NBA predictions & news
Betting on the NHL is done frequently in Pennsylvania, with all betting sites PA offering markets on the top US ice hockey league. The Philadelphia Flyers and the Pittsburgh Penguins both play in the NHL and have massive interest, and a huge rivalry, among the people of Pennsylvania. The NHL also has teams based in Canada, with 31 teams from the East and West Coast fighting it out for the Stanley Cup. PA betting sites will often NHL promotions and bonuses running to entice new players.
The NFL is popular all over the USA and Pennsylvania is football mad, with all betting sites having markets on this sport. Pennsylvania is home to two NFL teams — the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers — meaning when these teams are playing betting in the state goes up a notch. The BettingPlanet US team writes weekly previews of the Steelers and Eagles games when in-season.MORE NFL predictions & news
MLB betting sites
The Pittsburgh Pirates and the Philadelphia Phillies, who are possibly the most famous sporting team in Pennsylvania, spearhead Pennsylvania’s assault on the professional baseball league, Major League Baseball or the MLB. MLB betting is extremely common and many people make a living from betting on this sport. While MLB betting is popular, it goes up a notch when the playoffs and World Series gets underway each year, with these games drawing global wagering interest.MORE MLB predictions & news
Sportsbooks in Pennsylvania
On top of a number of online sportsbooks, Pennsylvania has licensed a number of the gambling venues in the state to offer sports betting. These retail betting venues first began offering sports betting on November 16, when Hollywood opened its doors to sports bettors.
These betting locations must have an existing gambling license from the PA regulator, and need a tech partner to get started. For instance Hollywood’s tech partner is global giant William HIll, meaning their sports betting offering uses this software.
A number of other sportsbooks are opening in Pennsylvania, with other casinos boasting sports bettig including the SugarHouse, Rivers, Parx and Mount Airy.
Retail betting locations in Pennsylvania
- South Philadelphia Turf Club
- Harrah’s Philadelphia
- Valley Forge
- Valley Forge Race and Sportsbook
- Mohegan Sun Pocono
- Mount AIry
- Presque Isle Downs
Betting on horse racing in Pennsylvania
Betting on horses in Pennsylvania is legal and there are five racetracks where you can make wagers.
- Harrah’s Philadelphia – This racetrack located in the City of Brotherly Love opened in 2006 and is located very close to Delaware and New Jersey. There are many bets to make on the many races that are offered at the state of the art racetrack.
- Parx Racetrack – This is one of the bigger racetracks in Pennsylvania and it is where the the main two gallops races in the state are held, with the Grade II Pennsylvania Derby and the US $500,000 Grade I Fitz Eugene Dixon Cotillion Handicap taking center stage.
- Penn National – This racetrack was established in 1972 and here bettors can make wagers on races year around.
- Pocono Downs – This track runs many races with many wagering options and they are a member of the U.S. Trotting Association.
- Presque Isle Downs – This track was established in 2007 and besides offering many races this track is a unique one to say the least. It is paved with Tapeta, which is a synthetic surface where races can be held on no matter what the weather and in the Northeast region of the United States it was the first longer than one mile synthetic racetrack.
- The Meadows – This is the oldest racetrack in the state and you can make bets all year round.
PA online gambling sites 2021
Online gambling in Pennsylvania has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years or so. It used to be that the state was totally against gambling as a whole, but that is certainly not the case anymore. Not only are there over a dozen land-based casinos in the state, but there is also no lack of slots games and tables games at them.
Racetrack gambling, the lottery, online casinos and online poker are all legal in the Keystone State, which was also among the first to introduce sports betting after the nationwide ban was overturned in 2018.
While the PA betting market has not exploded like its New Jersey counterpart, there are still a number of serviceable online betting sites that you can legally sign up at from Pennsylvania.
Online casinos in Pennsylvania
To operate an online casinos in Pennsylvania you must have a partnership with a land-based casino, meaning there are only limited options when looking for a PA gambling site. Having said this, while there are only currently a handful of PA online casinos, there are plenty more set to launch in the coming weeks and months.
Online casinos in Pennsylvania allow patrons to play games like online slots, blackjack, roulette and baccarat all from the comfort of your home. While in years gone by, playing casino games online couldn’t hold a candle to live casino gaming, this has changed significantly with the amount of development that has gone into online casinos.
The advent of things live table games, which allows you to play games like blackajck and roulette, via a video feed, and the continued improvement and size of the jackpots on the slots titles available online, has seen iGaming making giants strides in catching up to the retail gambling industry and its bevy of casinos.
Legal online casinos in Pennsylvania for January, 2021:
- Hollywood Casino
- Sugarhouse Casino
- Parx Casino
PA online poker
In the casinos around Pennsylvania poker is available legally and while there are no state-specific online poker rooms the bigger ones online today take players from the state. There are many offshore poker rooms, which cater to every type of player from low stakes players to high rollers. The state does not prohibit its citizens to playing at online poker rooms.
Timeline of sports betting in Pennsylvania
- 1992: Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act enforced: The US government acts to “protect the integrity” of sports, by banning sports betting betting in all states, barring flimsy concessions for Delaware, Oregon, Montana and Nevada.
- 2011: NJ challenges PASPA: The state of New Jersey challenges the PASPA rulling, but ultimately fails in its bid to legalise sports betting.
- 2014: The start of legal sports betting: New Jersey again challenged the PASPA ruling, using some different tactics, with the various sports leagues again protesting. However, the Supreme Court ultimately agreed to hear their case, eventually striking down PASPA.
- 2017: Pennsylvania paves way for sports betting: Pennsylvania officially legislates sports betting, paving the way for a legal gambling industry, when PASPA is finally repealed.
- May 14, 2018: PASPA is finally annulled and US states, including Pennsylvania have the right to launch online sports betting sites and retail betting locations.
- May, 2019: The first online betting sites launch and begin taking bets in Pennsylvania. PlaySugarhouse.com was the first brand to accept an online bet in Pennsylvania.
PA sports betting laws
In 2004 the Race Horse Development and Gaming Act was passed in Pennsylvania which made it legal to gamble on slots machines as well as table games. By 2006, casinos and racetracks in Pennsylvania were allowed to have video slots and table games.
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board regulates most of the gaming in the state and it is law that casinos can have up to 5,000 slot machines and 250 table games. Resorts around the state that have a gaming license can have up to 600 slot machines and 50 table games.
So far the PA sports betting industry is in its infancy, although it’s fair to say the bean counters are enjoying it. New sports betting sites have got to pay a once-off $10 million fee to operate in the state, while they are also taxed at 36% on revenue, following a successful application.
Pennsylvania’s sports betting laws are more liberal than other regulated states, with an allowance for both professional and collegiate events. As long as you are 21 years of age, are at a physical betting location, have a mobile or an internet connection, you are eligible to bet with all the top sportsbooks in Pennsylvania.
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board has received strong praise for its approach to gambling regulation so far, with sports betting sites forced to go through a rigorous testing process. Because sports betting apps are so prominent in the this market, the PGCB has taken extra precautions before allowing these real money apps to be launched.