Azerbaijan betting sites
The legal status of gambling in Azerbaijan has undergone significant change since the late 1990s. Some forms are permitted, while others are not. Here, we explain the law of the land and show you how and where Azeri gamblers can bet online.
Online gambling laws in Azerbaijan
Despite the country’s Muslim roots, Azerbaijan once took a rather liberal view towards gambling. There were as many as 10 legal casinos in the capital city, Baku, until the mid-1990s, and plenty more underground gambling houses besides.
That all changed in 1997, when then-president Heydar Aliyev introduced a nationwide gambling ban after his son, Ilham, allegedly ran up a USD $6 million debt with a Turkish tycoon. Casinos were shut down immediately, while extensive anti-gambling codes were passed into law the following year. State-run bingo and lottery games were the only exceptions to the ban.
The Azeri government has loosened up somewhat since Ilham Aliyev – yes, the very same – ascended to the presidency in 2003. Sports betting was legalised in 2011 and is now a thriving industry that contributes millions in funding to state-operated sporting initiatives. Casino gaming remains illegal, however, and the Aliyev administration has moved to stamp out unlicensed gambling houses in recent years.
How do these laws apply to internet gambling and mobile betting? While online sports betting is perfectly legal, there is no regulated industry for online casino gaming in Azerbaijan. However, there is little to prevent Azeri punters from betting with overseas-based gambling sites of any kind.
Azerbaijan online bookmakers
Azerbaijan has a booming betting industry of its own, yet there are scores of licensed online bookmakers from abroad that accept Azeri gamblers. We recommend signing up at multiple bookies to ensure you get the best odds and the biggest bonuses.
Best online sportsbooks
World's Biggest Bookie!
Up to €100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365!
Visit Bet365 bet365 Review
|Open Account Offer: Minimum deposit €5. Bet Credits available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply. Full T's and C's.|
Bet You Can!
Bet €10 Get €30 in free bets
30fVisit 888 Sport 888 Sportsbook Review
|New customers only – Minimum deposit of €10 using deposit code 30fb - A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least €10 placed on any sports market - Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days - Free bet stakes not included in returns - Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.|
Deposit €75, bet with €150
Visit Betsson Betsson Review
#1 In Asia
150% up to 450RM
Visit Dafabet Dafabet Review
Take every opportunity!
Bet €10, Get €10 In Bonus Tokens
Visit SportPesa SportPesa Review
|18+, New Customers only, No E-Wallets, Applies to first settled bet | Bonus paid as €10 Bonus Token, Min Stake €10.|
The game is good!
100% deposit bonus up to €200
Visit Guts Guts Sports Review
|18+ Gamble Responsibly.|
#1 in the USA
50% matched deposit up to USD $5,000
Visit BetOnline BetOnline Review
Sports Betting options
Open the tabs below to find out more about Azerbaijan’s most popular sports.
- In football circles, Azerbaijan is perhaps best known as the former shirt sponsor of Atletico Madrid – one of Spain’s powerhouse clubs. The nation has never featured at the FIFA World Cup, although several Azeri players starred for the USSR prior to the dissolution of the Soviet Union. There is plenty of local interest in the Azerbaijan Premier League, but soccer betting sites do a much heavier trade in overseas divisions such as the EPL, La Liga and Serie A.
- Azerbaijan’s volleyball legacy dates back to the dominant Soviet teams of the ’70s and ’80s. The women’s national league is one of the strongest in the world, with top clubs Telekom Baku and Azerrail Baku enjoying considerable success on the international stage. Online bookmakers cover all the major European leagues, including the Italian SuperLega, the Russian Volleyball Super League and the CEV Champions League.
- Although football and other codes have grown in popularity since Azerbaijan gained independence, wrestling is still widely considered the national sport. Azeri wrestlers have excelled in both Freestyle and Greco-Roman disciplines on the world stage, collecting medals at every Summer Olympics since the country’s debut at Atlanta 1996. Besides the Olympics, bookies also take bets on major events like the World Wrestling Championships and the European Wrestling Championships.
- Baku was the birthplace of Garry Kasparov, so it should surprise nobody that chess is a very big deal in Azerbaijan. The men’s national squad has enjoyed great success in recent years, winning the European Team Chess Championship three times between 2009 and 2017. Other major events include the Chess Olympiad and the World Chess Championships, both of which are featured at leading online bookmakers.
- Azeri gamblers can bet on hundreds of sporting codes from all over the world. These include:
- American football
- Aquatic sports
- Australian football
- Gaelic football
- Greyhound racing
- Horse racing
- Ice hockey
- Rugby league
- Rugby union
- Winter sports
Azerbaijan real money casinos
Despite local gaming laws, there are dozens of licensed online casinos that accept players from Azerbaijan. The trusted sites below all rank among the best in the business for game quality, range of titles, user-friendly features, player security and customer support.
Best online casinos
200% up to €100 + 100 Free Spins
Visit Guts Guts Casino Review
|New Accounts Only. A 200% bonus up to €100 and 100 free spins on Conan Video Slot. Min Deposit €10. Neteller, Skrill excluded. Full Terms.|
Biggest online slots casino
All Slots Casino
3 x 100% Matched Deposits up to 500€ BONUS
Visit All Slots All Slots Casino Review
King of mobile!
Leo Vegas Casino
20 Free Spins - No Deposit Bonus
Visit Leo Vegas Leo Vegas Casino Review
|20 Free Spins on Book of Dead game only. Must be claimed on the 'My Offers' page within 14 days of sign-up. Free Spins have a €0.10 value each and expire 7 days from claim. 35x wagering requirement on eligible slots before winnings are converted to cash.|
Get yourself a Gator!
House Of Jack
$1000 + 200 Free Spins!
Join House of Jack House Of Jack Review
$1400 + 80 Free Spins
Visit Casino-Mate Casino Mate Review
20 Years Online!
100% up to €1200
Visit Royal Vegas Royal Vegas Review
100% up to €1600
Visit Jackpot City Jackpot City Review
I'm Agent Jack Spinner!
100 No Deposit Free Spins
Join Agent Spinner Agent Spinner Review
|Offer triggered with SMS code to verify phone number. Spins valid 24hr. Wagering 50x within 24h. Max win 50E. Some country restrictions apply. Full t’s and c’s apply.|
Popular casino games
Tap the tabs below to learn more about your favourite online casino games.
- If you like high-quality graphics, interactive bonus features and massive jackpots, you will love the range of real money slots available at online casinos. These games offer enormous variety and often come with better payout rates than traditional slot machines.
- Digital casino games offer a much faster rate of play than you get at brick-and-mortar gambling houses, meaning you can cram more action into a short space of time. Choose from dozens of online blackjack variants and enjoy great odds on baccarat, roulette, craps and more.
- The best real money casinos carry a wide array of poker-style games. Casino hold’em, Caribbean stud, three card poker and pai gow poker are standard fare, while many operators also run video poker classics such as Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild and Joker Poker.
- You don’t need to cross the border to find authentic, hand-dealt casino games. Live dealer blackjack, baccarat and roulette games are streamed direct to your screen in real time and offer a wide range of betting options, including exclusive VIP tables for high rollers.
- Looking for something a bit different? Casino sites stock all sorts of classic and quirky titles, covering everything from casual arcade-style games to virtual horse racing.
Banking options at Azerbaijan gambling sites
Although most of the world’s major betting sites do not accept Azerbaijani manat, there are plenty of trusted payment services that support easy conversion to major international currencies such as Euros, British pounds and US dollars. Open the tabs below to find out which deposit and withdrawal methods are best for you.
- This is by far the simplest way to get money in and out of your online betting account. All reputable bookmakers are equipped for instant transfers with Visa and MasterCard, although some operators may charge a small transaction fee.
- Web wallets are free to join and offer an extra layer of protection when making instant payments online. Trusted names such as Neteller and Skrill are accepted just about everywhere, while many gambling sites also support Paypal and several other brands.
- Direct bank transfers combine the simplicity of online banking with the instantaneous processing of modern payment methods. The most common example is Citadel Direct, which is widely accepted at online casinos and sports betting sites.
- Cryptocurrency is fast gaining recognition in the economic mainstream. There are now dozens of Bitcoin casinos that deal exclusively in BTC transactions, along with similar operations for rival platforms such as Ethereum and Dogecoin.
- Sometimes the old-fashioned way is still the best. Whereas most online payment methods are subject to daily transaction limits, money wires and bank-to-bank transfers allow high rollers to move large sums without a hitch.
Latest Azerbaijan gambling news
[rm_recent_news tags=”AZ” title=”” ajax=”true”]