Azerbaijan betting sites
The legal status of gambling in Azerbaijan has undergone significant change since the late 1990s. Some forms are permitted, while others are not. Here, we explain the law of the land and show you how and where Azeri gamblers can bet online.
Online gambling laws in Azerbaijan
Despite the country’s Muslim roots, Azerbaijan once took a rather liberal view towards gambling. There were as many as 10 legal casinos in the capital city, Baku, until the mid-1990s, and plenty more underground gambling houses besides.
That all changed in 1997, when then-president Heydar Aliyev introduced a nationwide gambling ban after his son, Ilham, allegedly ran up a USD $6 million debt with a Turkish tycoon. Casinos were shut down immediately, while extensive anti-gambling codes were passed into law the following year. State-run bingo and lottery games were the only exceptions to the ban.
The Azeri government has loosened up somewhat since Ilham Aliyev – yes, the very same – ascended to the presidency in 2003. Sports betting was legalised in 2011 and is now a thriving industry that contributes millions in funding to state-operated sporting initiatives. Casino gaming remains illegal, however, and the Aliyev administration has moved to stamp out unlicensed gambling houses in recent years.
How do these laws apply to internet gambling and mobile betting? While online sports betting is perfectly legal, there is no regulated industry for online casino gaming in Azerbaijan. However, there is little to prevent Azeri punters from betting with overseas-based gambling sites of any kind.
Azerbaijan online bookmakers
Azerbaijan has a booming betting industry of its own, yet there are scores of licensed online bookmakers from abroad that accept Azeri gamblers. We recommend signing up at multiple bookies to ensure you get the best odds and the biggest bonuses.
Best online sportsbooks
Best Sports Betting Odds
Bet £10 Get £30 in free bets
Visit 888 Sports 888 Sportsbook Review
|Full Terms & Conditions|
#1 Sports, eSport, & Casino Betting
Visit Betway Betway Review
All Players Accepted
150% up to 450RM
Join Dafabet Dafabet Review
Discover more ways to play
Deposit £10, get £30 free
Visit William Hill William Hill Review
50% matched deposit up to USD $5,000
Visit BetOnline BetOnline Review
Sports Betting options
Open the tabs below to find out more about Azerbaijan’s most popular sports.
- In football circles, Azerbaijan is perhaps best known as the former shirt sponsor of Atletico Madrid – one of Spain’s powerhouse clubs. The nation has never featured at the FIFA World Cup, although several Azeri players starred for the USSR prior to the dissolution of the Soviet Union. There is plenty of local interest in the Azerbaijan Premier League, but soccer betting sites do a much heavier trade in overseas divisions such as the EPL, La Liga and Serie A.
- Azerbaijan’s volleyball legacy dates back to the dominant Soviet teams of the ’70s and ’80s. The women’s national league is one of the strongest in the world, with top clubs Telekom Baku and Azerrail Baku enjoying considerable success on the international stage. Online bookmakers cover all the major European leagues, including the Italian SuperLega, the Russian Volleyball Super League and the CEV Champions League.
- Although football and other codes have grown in popularity since Azerbaijan gained independence, wrestling is still widely considered the national sport. Azeri wrestlers have excelled in both Freestyle and Greco-Roman disciplines on the world stage, collecting medals at every Summer Olympics since the country’s debut at Atlanta 1996. Besides the Olympics, bookies also take bets on major events like the World Wrestling Championships and the European Wrestling Championships.
- Baku was the birthplace of Garry Kasparov, so it should surprise nobody that chess is a very big deal in Azerbaijan. The men’s national squad has enjoyed great success in recent years, winning the European Team Chess Championship three times between 2009 and 2017. Other major events include the Chess Olympiad and the World Chess Championships, both of which are featured at leading online bookmakers.
- Azeri gamblers can bet on hundreds of sporting codes from all over the world. These include:
- American football
- Aquatic sports
- Australian football
- Gaelic football
- Greyhound racing
- Horse racing
- Ice hockey
- Rugby league
- Rugby union
- Winter sports
Azerbaijan real money casinos
Despite local gaming laws, there are dozens of licensed online casinos that accept players from Azerbaijan. The trusted sites below all rank among the best in the business for game quality, range of titles, user-friendly features, player security and customer support.
Best online casinos
Online Sportsbook, Casino & Poker
200% up to €100 + 100 Free Spins
Visit Guts Guts Casino Review
|18+ Gamble Responsibly. Min €10 deposit. Neteller, Skrill Paysafecard excluded. 30x turnover requirement. Country exclusions & general terms apply. Full terms.|
All Slots Casino
All Slots Casino Review
Loads of daily promotions!
Visit 32Red 32Red Casino Review
Over 1,000 Casino Games
€1000 + 200 Free Spins
Visit LeoVegas Leo Vegas Review
|18+ Gamble Responsibly. T's and C's apply. 45x wagering requirement. Full terms|
€100 Bonus + 100 Free Spins + € 50 Exclusive
Visit Slots Million Slots Million Review
|18+ Gamble Resposibly. Min deposit €10. Full terms.|
$1400 + 80 Zero Wager Free Spins
Visit Casino-Mate Casino Mate Review
|18+ Gamble Responsibly. Min Deposit $20. Max withdrawal $5000.|
100% up to $1000
Visit BetOnline BetOnline Casino Review
Up to €1200 free
Visit Royal Vegas Royal Vegas Review
|Full T&Cs apply.|
Over 20 years old!
50 No Deposit Free Spins
Visit Jackpot City Jackpot City Review
Online Casino Games
Visit Agent Spinner Agent Spinner Review
Discover more ways to play
Visit William Hill William Hill Review
Boombet Casino Review
Popular casino games
Tap the tabs below to learn more about your favourite online casino games.
- If you like high-quality graphics, interactive bonus features and massive jackpots, you will love the range of real money slots available at online casinos. These games offer enormous variety and often come with better payout rates than traditional slot machines.
- Digital casino games offer a much faster rate of play than you get at brick-and-mortar gambling houses, meaning you can cram more action into a short space of time. Choose from dozens of online blackjack variants and enjoy great odds on baccarat, roulette, craps and more.
- The best real money casinos carry a wide array of poker-style games. Casino hold’em, Caribbean stud, three card poker and pai gow poker are standard fare, while many operators also run video poker classics such as Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild and Joker Poker.
- You don’t need to cross the border to find authentic, hand-dealt casino games. Live dealer blackjack, baccarat and roulette games are streamed direct to your screen in real time and offer a wide range of betting options, including exclusive VIP tables for high rollers.
- Looking for something a bit different? Casino sites stock all sorts of classic and quirky titles, covering everything from casual arcade-style games to virtual horse racing.
Banking options at Azerbaijan gambling sites
Although most of the world’s major betting sites do not accept Azerbaijani manat, there are plenty of trusted payment services that support easy conversion to major international currencies such as Euros, British pounds and US dollars. Open the tabs below to find out which deposit and withdrawal methods are best for you.
- This is by far the simplest way to get money in and out of your online betting account. All reputable bookmakers are equipped for instant transfers with Visa and MasterCard, although some operators may charge a small transaction fee.
- Web wallets are free to join and offer an extra layer of protection when making instant payments online. Trusted names such as Neteller and Skrill are accepted just about everywhere, while many gambling sites also support Paypal and several other brands.
- Direct bank transfers combine the simplicity of online banking with the instantaneous processing of modern payment methods. The most common example is Citadel Direct, which is widely accepted at online casinos and sports betting sites.
- Cryptocurrency is fast gaining recognition in the economic mainstream. There are now dozens of Bitcoin casinos that deal exclusively in BTC transactions, along with similar operations for rival platforms such as Ethereum and Dogecoin.
- Sometimes the old-fashioned way is still the best. Whereas most online payment methods are subject to daily transaction limits, money wires and bank-to-bank transfers allow high rollers to move large sums without a hitch.
Latest Azerbaijan gambling news
[rm_recent_news tags=”AZ” title=”” ajax=”true”]