Baccarat third card rules
When playing baccarat, after the initial deal of two cards to the player and two cards to the banker, if neither party has reach a total of eight or nine, then depending on the total of the player’s hand, a subsequent third-card deal may be required. The following page details the baccarat rules which need to be followed when neither hand totals are anything other than eight or nine.
Taking in to account first is always the player’s hand total:
- The player side is dealt a third card if the initial hand totals between 0-5.
- The player side does not take another card if the initial two-card hand total is six or seven.
- The player’s hand requires no additional cards if the points total after the first two cards is eight or nine (a natural win, or a tie if the banker’s hand also total eight or nine points).
If the player’s hand remains at two cards, the banker’s hand then follows the same rules as the player: the banker will only draw a third card if its hand total is between 0-5, and will stand if the hand totals six or seven (and of course eight or nine, as well). The more complex banker rules come in to play if the player does draw a third card. The banker’s next move is subsequently dependent on what the player’s third card is:
Te following banker rules apply when the player has been dealt a third card:
- If player draws a two or three as a third card, the banker draws a third card when its two-card total is between 0-4, and stands with a total of 5-7.
- If player draws a four or five as a third card, banker draws a third card when its total lies between 0-5, and stands with the total of six or seven.
- If the player side draws a six or seven as a third card, the banker if forced to draw with a total between 0-6, and stand with a total of seven.
- If the player draws an eight as a third card, the banker will draw a third card only with a two-card total between zero and two, and will stand with a 3-7 two-card total.
- Finally, if the player draws a nine, 10, face card or an Ace as a third card, banker must draw when its total is from 0-3, and must stand when the total is 4-7.
Below are the banker rules in a table format, which may be easier for visual learning players to understand:
[table id=1 /]
After all cards have been dealt, the winning side is determined by which total is closer to nine. All bets are paid out, and the coup begins over again.
You can find all these rules at our trusted online casinos within the specific baccarat game you are playing. Some of our highest quality gaming sites include:
- Royal Vegas Casino
- Thrills Casino
- G’day Casino
- Guts Casino
Each of the above websites are licensed and regulated and use the highest level of digital encryption technology to ensure financial transactions (real money deposits and withdrawals) are protected.